PURPOSE: Under the shared direction of the Managers of Outreach, Academic Engagement & Student Engagement, the Science Education Instructor delivers engaging, science-based programs for the Center for Aquatic Sciences. Programs include offsite outreach programs as well as classes and tours delivered within Adventure Aquarium.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Deliver marine science-based educational programs for all ages.
- Facilitate science based games and crafts
- Handle live animals in classroom demonstrations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Education Managers.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Enthusiastic passion for engaging children in hands-on learning
- Ability to read and follow lesson plans for specific programs
- Have a solid understanding of basic biology and marine ecology.
- Must relate well to individuals of all ages.
- Must be creative, well organized, self-starting and a team player.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule involving late afternoons and evenings.
- Valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Comfort with handling a variety of live animals including marine invertebrates and reptiles.
- One year experience teaching children in an informal/formal setting
PHYSICAL AND MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Successful completion of pre-employment background and fingerprint check.
- No history of allergy to plants or animals, which may interfere with the candidate's ability to work.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.
The Center for Aquatic Sciences is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity. All aspects of employment are governed and administered on the basis of merit, qualifications, and competence and are not influenced or in any manner affected by race, color, age, sexual preference, national origin, or ancestry, religion, disability, marital status or any other classification protected by law.
Apply Online Now